THE SOVIET Union’s Marshal Georgy Zhukov was much celebrated in the USSR and the allegedly anti-Communist West. Victor Suvorov, the noted Soviet dissident, described the World War II leader as “the only general in world history honored for losing 5 million men under his command.”
As an interesting aside, it has been since revealed that the battles this soldafon (Russian for loud-mouthed martinet) did win were entirely thanks to US aid.
There is a dirty secret the world doesn’t know about this man, though, because Western journalists choose to keep quiet about it. Merely as an experiment Marshal Zhukov discharged a nuclear bomb over his own troops and a defenceless Russian community.
This heart-breaking self-inflicted catastrophe occurred during a Soviet military exercise held in 1954. It only came to light in Russia after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Western media journalists kept quiet about the 20th century’s worst single act of base treachery
For the purpose of studying the effects of a nuclear blast on civilians and ground forces, an explosive nuclear experiment was conducted at 09:53 hours on September 14, 1954. Under the direction of Marshal Zhukov, a Soviet bomber, flying at an altitude of 42,000 feet (13 kilometres), dropped a 40-kiloton nuclear bomb.
The device was timed to detonate at a height of 350 meters over a group of both civilians and troops. The detonation’s explosive power combined that of America’s atomic attacks on Japan’s Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
The medical facilities in the Soviet Union had no means of protecting or treating humans or livestock against the consequences of exposure to a nuclear blast. At the instant of the blast, Suvorov recounts, some 60,000 young men were rendered sterile; countless numbers suffered radiation sickness, bloody flux, leukaemia, and other debilitating and fatal diseases. The troops involved in the experiment were sworn to secrecy. Most were subsequently released from the army as unfit for military service.
Zhukov chose as the site for the experiment the Totskoye test range. This locality is situated in the Southern Urals Military District. An especially fertile agricultural area, Totskoye is located between the Volga River and the Urals on the Samara River.
The farmers who lived in the surrounding area were evacuated before the experiment. However, they were obliged to immediately return and continue their lives as before the explosion. Consequently, the community suffered the same terrifying consequences as did the doomed Soviet troops. Afterwards, Zhukov, darling of the Western powers, was commended for his bold leadership. At home, some proposed he be awarded a fifth Hero of the Soviet Union medal.
A commemorative plaque has since been placed at the site of the tragedy. The inscription reads: ‘In September 1954, at the landfill site were conducted tactical trainings of troops led by Marshal Zhukov.’
On 17 September 1954, the Soviet newspaper Pravda published a TASS report: ‘In accordance with the plans of scientific research and experimental work was tested one type of atomic weapon. The purpose of the tests was to study the action of an atomic explosion. The test produced valuable results that will help Soviet scientists and engineers to successfully solve problems of atomic attack protection. A post-test study was carried out in the winter of 1954 and spring and summer of 1955.’
TASS merely claimed that the test was different from the previous tests. There was no media mention of those who were responsible for the initiative or charged with carrying it out.
Both appalling tragedies can be attributed to Marshal Zhukov. The warlord had returned to Moscow following Stalin’s death. The Marshal, whose military blunders surpassed those of his wartime leader Winston Churchill, then held the post of First Deputy Minister of Defence of the USSR.
The plan of the “guinea pig” military exercise was as follows: After the bomb exploded, some troops were to break through the ‘enemy defences’ and other troops were to defend themselves. The defending soldiers were supposed to be in trenches and ditches to assist in surviving a nuclear explosion. Advancing troops were ordered to pass through the explosion’s epicentre through the imaginary enemy defence.
The Russian military newspaper, Red Star. on September 29, 1989 carried survivors’ accounts: “The earth rocked. There was a huge cloud, the size of half the sky. The cloud was pushed up by pluming scarlet flames; the clouds varied in colour. The heavens had become crimson, bright or less so and all the time raged clouds of smoke. Clouds rose higher, dragging everything out of them, sucking dust from the ground and making pillars of all that was on the ground.”
The whole area changed beyond recognition. The land was afterwards flattened and strewn with stones as if ploughed. Everything seemed to be melting and in places smoking and emitting fumes; vegetation did not survive.
Measuring devices such as X-ray devices were broken. Military tanks melted and many had sunk into the ground. Other military vehicles had been pushed dozens of meters. They lay overturned with their caterpillar tracks up. There were many hillocks, but what objects were buried by the explosion it was impossible to guess. Cloud cover shimmered as if it was unfolding from a huge bowl of boiling, raging flame; it rose to the heavens. Weapons and guns had melted and would afterwards be sold as scrap.
The forest was turned into wood chips and small fragments. At distance of 1,200 meters from the epicentre of the explosion was a well-protected stronghold command point with a solid roof and powerful shelters for both weapons and personnel: “This shelter survived but the shock wave destroyed partition walls, penetrated into the shelter’s compartments, and scored interior surfaces as if by abrasive sand. There had been two horses tethered at the entrance to the building; both simply disappeared,” according to Gennady Ambrazevich (Independence, April 23, 1997).
Other reports (Red Star, July 9, 1992) recount how “at the time of the explosion the earth underfoot heaved. There was a clap of thunder, crackling, and in the sky a dazzling bright fiery mushroom.”
The (Russian) Literary Gazette, September 15, 1999, stated: “It was so painful to look at the mad, blind, and charred animals, scary to think of uprooted trees, disappeared oak groves, the ashes of several villages, the pitiful remnants of military equipment.”
“In the trenches and open areas can be seen the doomed cows, goats, sheep, and other domestic animals. The eyes of many animals had exploded out of their heads; their hair showed evidence of having smouldered. Many animals were lying with terrible wounds, according to Independence, April 23, 1997.
According to Red Star, July 19, 1996: ‘The soldiers who took part in the secret event and, with them, the local people got a large dose of radiation exposure. Officers in the area witnessed that at the oak forest massif there remained only black ashes and charred stumps. All military equipment had either melted or been mangled.”
“Trenches and shelters were gone. The top layer of the earth in many placed had moved. All land became equal. The sight was horrible.” (Red Star, July 9, 1992)
The oak forest had been planted by decree of Tsar Peter I. In the area had been thousands of mighty oaks of about 250 years of age. All had been destroyed.
Mikhail Arensburg was a junior sergeant of the Engineers’ Battalion and participated in these doomed experiments. The soldier was the only survivor of a squad that included 21 young soldiers and a sergeant. He says: “Although the explosion was above ground, and we were so far away, the earth under us moved like a sea wave. All our devices went off the scale and were rendered useless. We were ordered to go immediately to the epicentre of the explosion with our tanks and our soldiers shouting, ‘Hurrah, Hurrah!’ The high officials departed immediately after the action. At the landfill site were lying around not only many dead cattle with severed limbs and charred sides, but also many dead people. It was said that sometimes during the pretend attacks, tanks ran into tents occupied by soldiers. Of course, these losses were concealed. I think that, first of all, the chiefs wanted to put the risk on both humans and animals. I realised that we were all in the role of experimental rabbits.” (Magazine Hour, January 27, 2001)
Afterwards, Marshal Zhukov, who was unaffected by the radiation, was promoted. This darling of Western media journalists had, before the experiment, slunk away to a concrete bunker situated far from the epicentre. He later decided against visiting the affected area.
It is notable that this appalling act of treachery was widely publicised in the Russian Federation after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Western media and palace publishers have remained tight-lipped. One again we realise that Bolshevik-occupied Russia and the capitalist West are just as the German chancellor Adolf Hitler described them: ‘two sides of the same coin.’